SCARLET-W represents our passion and dedication to carrying on the legacy started by RED ONE®—disrupting the industry and delivering a camera of unparalleled quality and accessibility to content creators everywhere. And now RED has changed the industry again, with the SCARLET-W, powered by a RED DRAGON® sensor and featuring interchangeable lens mounts and OLPFs.
SCARLET-W harnesses the RAW performance, advanced color science, and impressive dynamic range of the RED DRAGON sensor. Capable of shooting motion and stills in 5K 2.4:1 at up to 60 frames per second (fps), or 5K Full Frame at 50 fps, SCARLET-W offers 13.8 megapixels of resolution for creative control, special effects, and post-production mastery. As part of RED’s latest generation DSMC2 line, SCARLET-W also features numerous enhancements including simultaneous REDCODE RAW® and Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD recording, integrated smart connectors for cable-free peripheral attachment, and faster read/write speeds for lower compression—all in a small and lightweight form factor.
Designed around the innovative modular architecture of the DSMC2™ family, SCARLET-W is compatible with all of your DSMC2 accessories. Whether you are shooting with a single camera—or an entire arsenal, RED’s modular approach ensures that your DSMC2 accessories are compatible with SCARLET-W, RED RAVEN™, and WEAPON® cameras.
Just one of the advantages of the DSMC2 lineup is the integration of the intelligent DSMC2 OLPF system. Now it is easier than ever to optimize your footage for your shooting environment—by quickly swapping out your optical low pass filter. Choose from our growing line of DSMC2 OLPF options including Standard, Low Light Optimized, Skin Tone-Highlight, or all three with the 3-Pack.
STANDARD: This OLPF offers the perfect balance of light gathering and protective qualities for most shooting environments. It is the ideal OLPF for demanding shooting schedules, and balanced for both light and dark environments—ensuring you’re always ready to capture the perfect shot.
SKIN TONE-HIGHLIGHT: This OLPF captures and preserves color quality in highlights, bright colors, and well-lit environments. It is the ideal OLPF for skin tones and best with lower ISO values.
LOW LIGHT OPTIMIZED: This OLPF provides excellent color and tonal reproduction in dim to dark environments. Use this OLPF to capture and preserve color quality in mid-tones, darks, and shadows.
This product includes the SCARLET-W BRAIN (w/ integrated media bay), DSMC AC Power Adaptor, SCARLET-W Case, a 1-Year Standard Warranty, and the DSMC2 Standard OLPF or 3-Pack for an additional cost.
NOTE: An expander module or the DSMC2 REDVOLT® XL Module is required to power the BRAIN. Only one (1) expander module can be used at a time.
- 1x SCARLET-W BRAIN w/ integrated media bay
- 1x DSMC2 OLPF w/ Case
Tech specs reflect both current and projected information. Everything is subject to change.
1. REDCODE values and max frame rates may vary based on selected acquisition format, aspect ratio, project time base, Lookaround setting, and SSD. For more information on available REDCODE compression settings for all formats, see the DSMC Media Operation Guide.
2. For more information on available acquisition formats, see the DSMC Operation Guides.
3. Avid DNxHD/HR Codecs recording support added to DSMC2 firmware v6.3 or later.
4. Third-party non-linear editing (NLE) applications may have limited compatibility with R3D files.
5. Estimated recording times represent averages over the course of a typical recording to REDCODE RAW only with Pre-Record disabled and may vary depending on subject matter. It is always recommended to perform your own tests using typical camera settings and shooting conditions.